This is my favorite, inexpensive, and easy recipe to make when I have company coming to visit, or to make ahead for Christmas Eve luncheon. It is complimented with either a dollop of sour cream and salsa on the side, or even better, smothered in “Perfect Every Time Hollandaise Sauce”.
- 1 1/2 C hot cooked rice
- 10 – 12 oz frozen chopped broccoli florets, cooked
- 3 eggs
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 oz. grated cheddar cheese (or more, if you prefer)
- 1/2 C plus 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine rice, one slightly beaten egg, and 1/2 of the cheese, (salt and pepper) and press into the bottom of a greased deep dish pie plate. (Pie plate doesn’t have to be a deep dish, but it is preferable).
- When broccoli is cooled slightly, combine it with 2 eggs (slightly beaten), the mushrooms, and milk (salt and pepper).
- Pour over the rice layer and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes until middle is firm and edges are slightly browned.
- Top with the remaining grated cheese, return to oven and bake for 10 minutes more until cheese is melted and just starting to bubble.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Complement with sides of sour cream and your favorite salsa, or smother it in a velvety layer of “Perfect Every Time Hollandaise Sauce”. Either way is scrumptious.